My new favorite cornbread


I found a recipe for cornbread using masa harina on Cowen Park Kitchen.  I liked it, but the lime flavor was a little strong for me (maybe just the brand of masa I used?).  So, I tweaked it a tiny bit, and came up with a nice, moist cornbread, still gluten free.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup masa harina
  • 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 7 tbsp. buttermilk powder
  • egg substitute equivalent to 2 eggs (I use this)
  • 1 3/4 cups of water
  • 3 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 1 tbsp salted butter
Place the cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Sift the dry ingredients (masa through buttermilk powder) into a bowl.  Using a fork, mix the sunflower oil into the dry ingredients. Next, mix the egg substitute with water according to package directions for the equivalent of 2 eggs then add it to the dry mix.  Finally, add the 1 3/4 cups of water and mix all together with a whisk.  The batter will seem fairly thin.

Remove the skillet from the oven and rub the butter over the bottom and sides.  Pour the mixture into the skillet and bake 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy!

This tasted great with some beans and ham and baked apples.  It would also be quite yummy at breakfast drizzled with butter and honey.