Natillas




One of the fun things about coming home from travels is trying to replicate dishes we've tried.  We did this with Baeckeoffe from France, Paella from Spain, and Farinata from Italy, to name a few.  One of the dishes you find all over Spain is Natillas, little vanilla custard cups, with a slight hint of cinnamon.

I figured I'd try to start out pretty easy, so this was my first travel-inspired dish from this trip.  I found this recipe, which was inspired by La Tienda.com.  The subtle fragrance of cinnamon cooking in the custard was wonderful as I stirred the pot on the stovetop.  I think this particular version seems light on the eggs compared to some recipes I've seen, but hey, you have to start somewhere.  Since I made this version, I tried another recipe by Food and Wine magazine.  This one definitely had a bit of zing from the lemon, but still a nice cinnamon flavor.  I might try the Food and Wine recipe again but without the lemon.


















As a bonus, we brought home a traditional earthenware crock from one of our store-bought Natillas, so I used that for one of the cups (I adore a practical souvenir). 

It's missing the small Maria cookie in the photos, but traditionally it's often topped with one.

What travel-inspired dishes do you enjoy?