Petroglyphs

Credits: Wendy Zine P 365 Blog Action
We saw some cool, ancient petroglyphs at the Signal Hill picnic area in Saguaro National Park.  Before even mentioning the petroglyphs, I have to say that the sheer number of Saguaro cacti in the park is incredible.  We could see mountains way, way off in the distance, and there must have been thousands of cacti between where we stood and there.  Fortunately, there is a nice path leading up on the hilltop where the petroglyphs are, so we didn't have to pick our way through the prickly beasts.  There were several picnic tables that would have been a nice spot to stop and have a bite just below the parking area.

We wound our way around the dirt trail and up the hill.  Standing there looking at the rocks, I had to wonder, is some of what I'm looking at graffiti?  It's sad to think, but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.  I mean, how could I distinguish between ancient drawings and new?  Anyway, it was pretty fascinating to think what the significance of the symbols might have meant to those who carved the rocks.

Here are some layouts from our visit.  I used Suzy Q's quick and easy templates and blended photos into the background for a bit more interest.
Credits for both layouts:  SuzyQ Scraps Story Grids Template and Studio Mix 51 Across the Desert Racers
As it turned out, where we were living in AZ was not terribly far from another site of ancient petroglyphs, the Deer Valley Rock Art Center.  Apparently, it is the largest concentration of petroglyphs in the greater Phoenix area.  I couldn't help but think of all of the ancient stones (just a stone's throw away!) whenever I was driving on the 101 up in the north!  How different the area must have looked so long ago.

I kept meaning to visit here, but never made it.  I even drove to the entrance one day, psyched up that I might finally get to visit.  But it was a Monday, and they were closed.  Darn!  Not visiting there, as well as the Heard Museum, are two regrets of things I didn't do when I had the chance.  Who knows...  maybe one day I'll get another opportunity.