Bravery and Confidence

I have another post prompted by Found Love Now What blog, all about being brave.
Studio Mix 91, Courage to Change
Bravery and courage go hand in hand with confidence.  I'm not always the bravest person, and I can see how my confidence has diminished as I've aged.  It's easy for me to be intimidated by the new and unknown, yet some part of me thrives on it, too.  I think back to my youth, and I was somewhat fearless; I was most assuredly confident, and I definitely had a can-do attitude.

Fast forward to adult life and its responsibilities and challenges, and the question on my mind is more often, "Can I do this?" rather than, "How can I do this?"

The Bible says a whole lot about fear.  Depending on the translation, you can find between 400-500 references to fear in the Bible!  Quite a few of these verses are about NOT being afraid!  This gem, below, is from 1 John 4:18:

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

This amazing scene comes from Matthew 17:7, when James, John, and Peter witnessed Jesus, Elijah, and Moses at the Transfiguration.  James, John, and Peter were all terrified after what they saw and Who they heard (the voice of God).  Jesus comforted them:

But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and have no fear.”

And maybe my favorite verse on fear, from 1 Timothy 1:7:

for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

I love this beautiful quote from Deutoronomy 31:6:

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

Studio Mix 91, Courage to Change
Part of fear can a control issue, and it's hard to let go of what you can't change!  But we are all better off if we do let go, and if we realize there really is One in control.  If we are on His side, He is on our side, and if we are walking on His path, we have nothing to fear!