Five Books I Love

Crafty Button Bibliophile and Metamorphosis kits

Joining in on a Blog Everyday in May prompt from Found Love Now What: about books I love.  (I'm late getting to this -- this prompt was from several days ago).  Could I choose a favorite book, when I love to read and am a voracious reader?  Is it possible?  Doubtful.  At least not without tons of thought.  These books are meaningful to me, ones that I'm currently smitten with or that have made an impact on me in some way.

  1. The Bible.  It has changed my life and my perspective.  Cliche?  Maybe.  But true.  Inspired words, live-saving messages and truths, and beautiful, thoughtful, interesting life-application accounts (I don't like calling them stories; I believe in their veracity.)  Always new things jump out at me.  The same verse can hit me in three different ways.  Always learning.  Always growing.
  2. Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin.  I read this book not long ago.  It was so engaging; really a delight.  I loved the setting of rural Appalachian countryside.  And the main character's affinity for books was something I could definitely relate to!  It was a laugh-out-loud read in places.  Just, really fun!
  3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I had to read this in high school, and I just recently re-read it along with my husband (love our reading discussions).  I saw so much rich symbolism and interesting wording and what's-left-unsaid meaning.  I loved it twice as much reading it the second time around.  I was tainted a bit, after reading, just before that, Hemingway's A Moveable Feast, with its less-than-flattering descriptions of Fitzgerald.  But nevertheless, I was kind of blown away by this on my latest read.  Hope to read this again before too long.
  4.  Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxes.  I love history (was a history major) and am intrigued by WW2 settings.  This non-fiction book was really interesting and engaging.  Horrid happenings, but people so full of courage and faith you can't help but admire them in the midst of the adversity they faced.  A good read.
  5. The Discovery by Dan Walsh.  This was an easy read, clean fiction, but is a wonderful mix of WW2, Florida, and just plain good storytelling.  I devoured almost the whole novel on a flight not long ago.
What are your favorite books?  Join in on the link back with me.